CAMBODIA MUSEUM OF ECONOMY AND MONEY
SOSORO has been designed to provide a unique perspective on Cambodia’s history and to offer a sharper grasp on the constant interaction between money, economics and politics through history.
2,000 riels / 14,000 riels with audioguide
4,000 riels / 16,000 riels with audioguide
20,000 riels / 32,000 riels with audioguide
OPEN FROM TUESDAY - SUNDAY
9AM - 6PM
#16, Preah Moha Ksatreiyani Kossamak Avenue,
Sangkat Wat Phnom,
KINGDOM OF CAMBODIA
FROM FUNAN TO PRESENT
2,000 years of Cambodia’s Monetary History
The museum is divided into twelve different modules. They highlight some fundamental facts and lessons learned from the country’s economic and monetary history and focus on the strong interaction between money, credit, growth, inflation, etc.
Visitors can discover at their own pace 2,000 years of Cambodia’s history through a large number of display cases and panels enhanced by multimedia presentations.
From Kingdoms to Protectorate
Independence, wars and reconstruction
The Journey Of King Sisowath In France In 1906: A Mutual Revelation
Embark along with King Sisowath on his historical journey to France in 1906 with this 360° immersive virtual experience! Navigate through the exhibition by clicking on the icons and by zooming in on the high definition illustrated panels.
An Interactive Space
Learn And Play
Understand economic and monetary principles
The SOSORO Museum, with its modern interior, is equipped with interactive components such as audiovisual documentaries, video games and touch screens. Visitors are invited to put into context what they have learned, enabling them to understand the rules and mechanisms, as well as the crucial importance of money in building the country’s independence and sovereignty.
Get Access to:
> Library / Shop / Garden / Café / Inclusive Access
Common questions about the SOSORO Museum
- What is the exact name of the Museum?
- The official name is the Preah Srey Içanavarman Museum of Economy and Money, commonly SOSORO Museum. SOSORO is the Khmer acronym for museum of economy and money.
- What is the goal of the SOSORO Museum?
- Established and exclusively funded by the National Bank of Cambodia, the SOSORO Museum aims to narrate 2000 years of Cambodia’s history from economic, monetary and trade perspectives, through a state-of-the-art museography mixing artifacts, new technology and elements of edutainment.
- How long does it take to visit the SOSORO Museum?
- A visit to the Preah Srey Içanavarman Museum of Economy and Money may take between one and three hours. You can visit with the help of an audio-guide (English, French, Japanese, Chinese and Khmer languages available) while a guide can be freely provided for groups of 15 visitors and more.
- Can I take a break during the visit?
- Throughout the visit you will find seatings to rest or enjoy our video documentaries and interactive games. Nonetheless, the entrance ticket is valid for a whole day so you can take a break from the visit, for example in our garden and signature Café Klaing, and resume your visit later.
A HERITAGE BUILDING
The SOSORO Museum is located in the heart of Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia. Its protectorate style building was the former town hall residence in 1908, Phnom Penh municipality in 1920, and has been the Preah Srey Içanavarman Museum of Economy and Money since 2012.
The building had fallen into a very bad state before it was made available to house the SOSORO Museum. It has been decided to retain all the features that could be preserved in order to display monetary troves and artifacts since the Funan era.